One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A ceremony to mark the spousal union of two people who are not legally allowed to marry, such as gay people.
- ‘Under the current law taxi drivers have to accept passengers, whether they are going to a civil union ceremony, to a marriage ceremony, or even just to a normal commitment ceremony without any legal ties.’
- ‘He told me the main reason that he and his partner hadn't had any sort of commitment ceremony was because he ‘wanted it to mean something more’ than just a personal promise he'd been making every day for the last 6 years.’
- ‘They even had a commitment ceremony at the end of the 1997-1998 season.’
- ‘More seriously, they want the same rights as heterosexual mates, and they're uninterested in having any sort of commitment ceremony until then.’
- ‘You've never thought about a commitment ceremony or even a legal marriage?’
- ‘She and her bride, Carina, picked the small artist's colony of Todos Santos for their commitment ceremony.’
- ‘‘Anybody who's in love and wants to create a commitment ceremony to honor their relationship, we support that,’ says owner Chanti Mullen.’
- ‘On October 13 the couple celebrate their 10-year anniversary with a commitment ceremony in Los Angeles.’
- ‘I am currently in the process of planning my commitment ceremony.’
- ‘Mr Meriano said: ‘We never had the time to have a commitment ceremony.’’
- ‘We're planning our commitment ceremony for May 1, 2006.’
- ‘‘We've just done a lovely cake for a lesbian couple who are getting married this weekend at a commitment ceremony.’’
- ‘I can hold a private commitment ceremony without any fear of arrest, but of course what I won't have is a marriage license.’
- ‘Quite possibly they'll just have a commitment ceremony and exchange rings - but they, like me, aren't big believers in the need to make a relationship ‘official’, so they're happy just to be boyfriends for now.’
- ‘They had a commitment ceremony but have no plans to marry until it's legal where they live.’
- ‘Just before his mission ended, and with the assistance of his missionary companion, Kent and I held a private commitment ceremony in Memphis.’
- ‘We were joined in a commitment ceremony in Provincetown, Mass.’
- ‘We had a commitment ceremony at our church in 2002; we got married in Vancouver, B.C., in 2003; and we were wed in Oregon in 2004 when they were briefly issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples.’
- ‘In between performances, the couple squeezed in time last year for one very important gig in Vermont: their own commitment ceremony.’
- ‘Three years later they held a commitment ceremony so that their friends and family could join them in celebrating their love for one another.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.