One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A senior police officer in France.
- ‘This lone civilian was a commissaire of police, and the sole representative of the city's civil population.’
- ‘His father was a Commissaire de Police for the French Government.’
- ‘The standing which the event enjoys with the UCI, the world governing body, is reflected in the fact that international commissaire Jack Watson will act as chief commissaire, assisted by a panel of four commissaires.’
- 1.1 An official at a bicycle race or other sporting event.
- ‘He has a few words with the commissaires before rejoining the pack.’
- ‘Incensed team staff had confronted race officials, and were extremely disappointed with the response from the commissaires’
- ‘The race was stopped by the commissaire following this bizarre happening!’
- ‘After May 31 only valid licence holders will be considered for ranking, to the National Pool, training and selecting teams for foreign competitions and commissaires to officiate at races.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.