One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A senior police officer in France.
- ‘The standing which the event enjoys with the UCI, the world governing body, is reflected in the fact that international commissaire Jack Watson will act as chief commissaire, assisted by a panel of four commissaires.’
- ‘This lone civilian was a commissaire of police, and the sole representative of the city's civil population.’
- ‘His father was a Commissaire de Police for the French Government.’
- 1.1 An official at a bicycle race or other sporting event.
- ‘Incensed team staff had confronted race officials, and were extremely disappointed with the response from the commissaires’
- ‘After May 31 only valid licence holders will be considered for ranking, to the National Pool, training and selecting teams for foreign competitions and commissaires to officiate at races.’
- ‘The race was stopped by the commissaire following this bizarre happening!’
- ‘He has a few words with the commissaires before rejoining the pack.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.