Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A traveling sales representative.
seller, salesperson, salesman, saleswoman, dealer, trader, tradesman, retailer, shopkeeper, shopman, shop girl, shop boy, sales assistant, assistant, wholesaler, merchant, trafficker, purveyor, supplier, stockist, marketer, marketeer, sales representative, door-to-door salesman, travelling salesman, commercial travellerView synonyms
- ‘He began writing while working as a commercial traveller.’
- ‘The most obvious category of jobs of this kind is that of itinerant jobs, such as a commercial traveller.’
- ‘They were replaced either by commercial travellers representing a single firm, with catalogues and samples, or by local, casual pedlars, who were scarcely distinguishable from vagrants.’
- ‘My dad, Jack Shepherd, was what we used to call a commercial traveller and he would take me on his rounds when he was meeting customers.’
- ‘He was a salesman, out on the roads, what they used to call a commercial traveller.’
commercial traveler/kəˈmərSHəl ˈtrav(ə)lər/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.