One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A traveling sales representative.
seller, salesperson, salesman, saleswoman, dealer, trader, tradesman, retailer, shopkeeper, shopman, shop girl, shop boy, sales assistant, assistant, wholesaler, merchant, trafficker, purveyor, supplier, stockist, marketer, marketeer, sales representative, door-to-door salesman, travelling salesman, commercial travellerView synonyms
- ‘They were replaced either by commercial travellers representing a single firm, with catalogues and samples, or by local, casual pedlars, who were scarcely distinguishable from vagrants.’
- ‘My dad, Jack Shepherd, was what we used to call a commercial traveller and he would take me on his rounds when he was meeting customers.’
- ‘The most obvious category of jobs of this kind is that of itinerant jobs, such as a commercial traveller.’
- ‘He was a salesman, out on the roads, what they used to call a commercial traveller.’
- ‘He began writing while working as a commercial traveller.’
commercial traveler/kəˈmərSHəl ˈtrav(ə)lər/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.