One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Short-term unsecured promissory notes issued by companies.
- ‘You see, short-term borrowings, largely commercial paper, are the major source of funding for the enormous growth in the US financial sector.’
- ‘The company also cut the amount of commercial paper it issued as part of total debt.’
- ‘It is at this point worth noting that there were a stunning $1.15 trillion of outstanding financial sector commercial paper borrowings as of Wednesday.’
- ‘After three weeks of decline, commercial paper outstanding increased $7.7 billion.’
- ‘A modern version of the promissory notes is the sterling commercial paper or certificate of deposit.’
- ‘Financial sector commercial paper borrowings have increased at a 36% annualized rate over the past seven weeks.’
- ‘In the 1990s large non-financial as well as financial companies received most of their short-term credit in the commercial paper market, stopping off at the banks only to arrange very cheap backup lines.’
- ‘Not surprisingly, financial sector commercial paper borrowings comprised $16.3 billion of the increase.’
- ‘Growth also continues in financial sector commercial paper borrowings as they have increased marginally during the first four weeks of January.’
- ‘Borrowing with commercial paper is again becoming significantly cheaper than borrowing long-term.’
- ‘Commerce doesn't raise money for loans by issuing commercial paper.’
- ‘But we do know that only $194 billion of the $1.4 trillion of outstanding commercial paper has been issued by ‘non-financial’ borrowers.’
- ‘Financial sector commercial paper borrowings are down almost $40 billion from July highs.’
- ‘Total commercial paper borrowings dropped $11.8 billion, with financial sector borrowing down $13.9 billion.’
- ‘It is Wall Street that is behind the enormous expansion of commercial paper, repos, and other money market instruments.’
- ‘The fund is invested in high-quality, short-term financial instruments including commercial paper, certificates of deposit, fixed bonds, floating rate notes, corporate and bank paper and deposits.’
- ‘The primary purpose of such vehicles is to issue commercial paper and use the proceeds to purchase various higher-yielding financial assets.’
- ‘The increase in outstanding commercial paper in the first nine months of this year is equivalent to 17.1% of the increase in outstanding bank loans.’
- ‘The financial sector has issued more than $1.2 trillion of commercial paper, using proceeds to fund more risky credits.’
- ‘Interestingly, we see that financial sector commercial paper expanded by $19 billion last week.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.