One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Art used in advertising and selling.
- ‘‘It has built up slowly over the years,’ says 55-year-old John, who trained in signwriting and commercial art at Gloucester Art School many years ago.’
- ‘Instead it is a fee charged for all the hassles attendant to the ‘design by committee’ process that is a matter of course in commercial art.’
- ‘An obsession for some, big money for others, the sneaker is ultimate commercial art.’
- ‘During these years she did a number of freelance design jobs in commercial art, including logos, layouts and drawings for fashion advertisements.’
- ‘He was born in London and after leaving school at 14 worked in advertising and commercial art whilst attending evening classes in painting.’
- ‘Many of these advertisements broke new ground and initiated a completely fresh style in British commercial art.’
- ‘For more advanced students, this type of subject matter can neatly extend into studies of mythological creatures as well as aspects of commercial art and story illustrations.’
- ‘I want my students to be prepared for commercial art employment, and it seems that commercial art is mainly being done on the computer.’
- ‘He adds, ‘The new division will round out our course offerings to prepare students to enter and excel in the world of commercial art.’’
- ‘In Boston, DeCora continued working in commercial art, as an illustrator and graphic designer.’
- ‘I tried to get my head around the idea that Farley somehow didn't consider his own work commercial art, even though every fiber of its creation shouted BUY ME.’
- ‘I suppose the general idea of the book is to trace the history of commercial art in Modern India from calendars to early advertisements to movie posters.’
- ‘In the early 20th century airbrushes were used mainly for photographic retouching, and their principal use is now in commercial art.’
- ‘Blinder blurred the line between museum art and decorative art, commercial art and fine art when he began selling Warhol paintings in a ground floor retail store.’
- ‘Leslie turned his hand to illustrating and other forms of commercial art in order to earn a living and he was commissioned to do the cover design for a magazine.’
- ‘In the recent past there was no art market either, no commercial art.’
- ‘This is an outlet for my commercial art, fashion design and publishing work.’
- ‘People in the creative field, especially those in commercial art, advertising, music and movies, want the special day to be a memorable one… in more ways than one.’
- ‘He says: ‘I did life drawing and all that sort of thing, but I took over commercial art because I thought it was more interesting.’’
commercial art/kəˈmərSHəl ärt/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.