One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Serving to commend; recommending.
flattering, complimentary, highly favourable, enthusiastic, glowing, appreciative, praising, worshipping, worshipful, reverential, lionizing, blandishing, acclamatory, rhapsodic, eulogistic, laudatory, fulsomeView synonyms
- ‘He serves his most commendatory blessing for this boy, the only one who he refers to as ‘son’ twice.’
- ‘Word from the calypso association secretary may have branded Francis with a not too commendatory title.’
- ‘‘If you have nothing commendatory to say, then say nothing at all.’’
- ‘He makes commendatory remarks concerning the President and the working relationship between the two men.’
- ‘So, I'm very commendatory of the President and his strong support.’
Mid 16th century: from late Latin commendatorius, from Latin commendare ‘commit to the care of’ (see commend).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.