One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
One of the titles of a caliph.
- ‘The Commander of the Faithful would encourage us from time to time to be economical in the use of Kalashnikov ammunition, due to [its] scarcity.’
- ‘His poorest brother of the blackest face is on the same social standing as the all powerful shadow of God upon Earth, the Commander of the Faithful.’
- ‘Angered by their cavalier attitude to authority, the Commander of the Faithful dispatched messengers to summon the conquerors of Spain to the capital; they never saw Europe again.’
- ‘The devout son of a poor farmer from Mewand district in south-west Afghanistan, Omar is said to have been elected as Commander of the Faithful (amir-ul momineen) early in the Taliban war with the opposition Northern Alliance.’
- ‘We surprised the enemy once and downed an airplane when he tried to storm the house of the Commander of the Faithful.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.