One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A noncommissioned officer in the US Army ranking above first sergeant.
- ‘The battalion command sergeant major regulated the uniform for each day.’
- ‘As a first sergeant for a unit in South Korea, he filled in as command sergeant major and operations officer besides fulfilling his own duties.’
- ‘He served as the command sergeant major of U.S. Central Command.’
- ‘American forces fought a continuous combined arms battle for three consecutive days, unlike any in the Army but the most senior general officer or command sergeant major had experienced.’
- ‘Clearly, the position of command sergeant major in armor and cavalry demands the best, which is evident by the selection of these soldiers for other demanding positions around the world.’
- ‘He vowed to always have at least one empty truck under the control of the task force command sergeant major for the collection and movement of enemy prisoners of war.’
- ‘We have worked closely with each division command sergeant major to ensure that input from the field was getting directly to the Chief of Armor.’
- ‘Several months ago my unit's command sergeant major was giving a class on Army values.’
- ‘It went with the battalion command sergeant major to the unit maintenance collection point to check on the soldiers who worked so hard to get the battalion's vehicles up for the fight.’
- ‘‘I realize that you get a lot of respect being the man you are,’ Jonathan wrote in a July 24 letter to his dad, the command sergeant major of the 1st Armored Division Engineer Brigade.’
- ‘I've had several other problems with them and have been denied to see my command sergeant major and inspector general.’
- ‘His most recent assignment was as the command sergeant major for Combined Joint Task Force - 7 serving in Baghdad, Iraq.’
- ‘There were no displays of bravado from this group who had experienced the loss of respected and valued leaders, including their command sergeant major.’
- ‘You'll hear much more from the command sergeant major on this subject.’
- ‘In our battalion, the battalion command sergeant major rigidly enforces the training of the ‘fall-out-one drill.’’
- ‘The most important asset in a successful training program is the experienced Soldier from outside - such as the battalion command sergeant major - who monitors and critiques the patrol's actions.’
- ‘A retired command sergeant major told me that if you were not Airborne, you were not really in the Army.’
- ‘He was selected as the command sergeant major of the 5th SF Group in 1976 and served in that position until his retirement in 1980.’
- ‘It's far better to let your troops have the rest of the day off, and meet informally with your command sergeant major and executive officer.’
- ‘We didn't want to sit this one out,’ said command sergeant major Patrick Boykin.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.