One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sequence of drawings in boxes that tell an amusing story, typically printed in a newspaper or comic book.
cartoon strip, comic, graphic novelView synonyms
- ‘They had hired a famous comic-strip artist to prepare concepts for the sets.’
- ‘A sequel that tries to provide the comic-strip character with psychological depth.’
- ‘Buck Rogers first appeared, in comic-strip form, that same year.’
- ‘Road to Perdition, the graphic novel, can be obtained from specialist comic-strip shops.’
- ‘Cartoonist Ben, known for his comic-strip novels, is the subject of this survey covering the last 10 years.’
- ‘Kids and their parents learn to re-create favorite cartoon and comic-strip characters.’
- ‘Taken together, they bring to mind the Sunday paper comic-strip characters of Jiggs and Maggie.’
- ‘A new collection of stories and comic strips examines just that.’
- ‘Here, events are depicted in comic-strip style, using small sequential sculptural panels.’
- ‘The show has spawned a radio series in nine languages and a mass of literature, some in comic-strip form.’
- ‘The great comic-strip artists had evolved a vocabulary for treating things everybody knew about in ways that everybody could understand.’
- ‘There was once a comic-strip character called Ivor Lott.’
- ‘Playing up his sometimes spacey, Zen-like nature, he likes to compare himself to Ziggy, the befuddled comic-strip character who often stumbles into cosmic revelations.’
- ‘Richard is a struggling artist who makes no bones of the fact that he considers himself too good for the comic-strip job.’
- ‘Fifty years ago, the comic-strip vision of the year 2000 had people wearing silver suits, travelling in flying cars and living in cities in the sky.’
- ‘These more familiar types of Chinese cartoons emerged at the beginning of the 20th century, mainly in the form of comic strips in magazines and newspapers.’
- ‘Include in your regular reading diet published collections of wit and humor, humor columnists, comic strips, and stories by writers with a well-developed sense of humor.’
- ‘I went back to being a full-time cartoonist and began to live out my life's dream of being a nationally syndicated comic-strip artist - but Pedro was still with me.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.