One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An opera that portrays humorous situations and characters, enhanced by spoken dialogue.
light entertainmentView synonyms
- ‘Yes, The Marriage of Figaro is one of the wonderful comic operas most people would enjoy.’
- ‘One of the last original musical genres to appear in Italy, the comic opera poked fun at the opera seria and its austere rules, while giving new publicity to music among the masses.’
- ‘It's on those three Mozart collaborations - the greatest comic operas ever written - that Da Ponte's fame rests.’
- ‘He often drew on the comic operas of the period for his stories.’
- ‘Hoffman is essentially a light comic opera, but there were moments of sheer wonderfulness, most notably a trio in the second act which was then joined by the chorus, and I just floated away to another place.’
- ‘Cast and crew of Kendal and District Gilbert and Sullivan Society are tuning up for their next dose of comic opera.’
- ‘Then Gilbert is dragged by his wife to an exhibition of Japanese culture, which inspires him to write an entirely new comic opera - The Mikado.’
- ‘Falstaff was Verdi's first comic opera and did away with the concept of separate musical numbers.’
- ‘There's a certain subset of opera fans who dismiss Rossini comic operas with a haughty wave.’
- ‘They are men and women in blue, numbering 15, and all set to treat you to a feast of a comic opera.’
- ‘As far as foot-tapping, comic opera goes, they don't come much better than The Mikado.’
- ‘Readers who are familiar with the comic operas of Gilbert and Sullivan will remember that one of them, ‘Iolanthe,’ includes a lord chancellor who sings the immortal lines.’
- ‘In the much-loved comic opera about love, hypocrisy and mistaken identities, the Baptists were fantastic.’
- ‘Le Nozze di Figaro comes with its own introduction, being one of the most popular comic operas for two centuries.’
- ‘This recording from the International Arts Festival last year is a comic opera about a string quartet on tour.’
- ‘The serious work is good; the comic operas incomparable.’
- ‘This comic opera is a favorite of companies around the world.’
comic opera/ˈˌkämik ˈäp(ə)rə/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.