Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An opera that portrays humorous situations and characters, enhanced by spoken dialogue.
light entertainmentView synonyms
- ‘Falstaff was Verdi's first comic opera and did away with the concept of separate musical numbers.’
- ‘This recording from the International Arts Festival last year is a comic opera about a string quartet on tour.’
- ‘Yes, The Marriage of Figaro is one of the wonderful comic operas most people would enjoy.’
- ‘Then Gilbert is dragged by his wife to an exhibition of Japanese culture, which inspires him to write an entirely new comic opera - The Mikado.’
- ‘It's on those three Mozart collaborations - the greatest comic operas ever written - that Da Ponte's fame rests.’
- ‘They are men and women in blue, numbering 15, and all set to treat you to a feast of a comic opera.’
- ‘As far as foot-tapping, comic opera goes, they don't come much better than The Mikado.’
- ‘In the much-loved comic opera about love, hypocrisy and mistaken identities, the Baptists were fantastic.’
- ‘Cast and crew of Kendal and District Gilbert and Sullivan Society are tuning up for their next dose of comic opera.’
- ‘Readers who are familiar with the comic operas of Gilbert and Sullivan will remember that one of them, ‘Iolanthe,’ includes a lord chancellor who sings the immortal lines.’
- ‘There's a certain subset of opera fans who dismiss Rossini comic operas with a haughty wave.’
- ‘The serious work is good; the comic operas incomparable.’
- ‘Hoffman is essentially a light comic opera, but there were moments of sheer wonderfulness, most notably a trio in the second act which was then joined by the chorus, and I just floated away to another place.’
- ‘He often drew on the comic operas of the period for his stories.’
- ‘This comic opera is a favorite of companies around the world.’
- ‘One of the last original musical genres to appear in Italy, the comic opera poked fun at the opera seria and its austere rules, while giving new publicity to music among the masses.’
- ‘Le Nozze di Figaro comes with its own introduction, being one of the most popular comic operas for two centuries.’
comic opera/ˈˌkämik ˈäp(ə)rə/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.