Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Offering no means of relaxation and pleasure.‘a comfortless prison’
gloomy, dreary, dull, dismal, bleak, drab, grim, sombre, dark, dim, dingy, funerealView synonyms
- ‘In a comfortless, filthy house, ill-furnished, often neither raintight nor warm, no domestic comfort is possible.’
- ‘It is the lighting that effectively simulates a change of scene and space, capturing the confinement of Malvolio in his supposed madness through the shadow of bars on a darkened, comfortless stage.’
- ‘Shuddering at the thought of the comfortless journey ahead, he started to look around for somewhere to pass the night.’
- ‘He saw in the eyes of his soldiers that they too felt this defilement of the morning, and the manner in which it overshadowed the remainder of each day until it waned unto comfortless darkness.’
- ‘After initially living with his brother-in-law, mother and nephew, he moved to a small, comfortless, unheated room in a cheap hotel.’
- ‘But he could do nothing for the underlying pain that left her separate from the others each night, wrapped tightly in her blankets under the comfortless stars.’
- ‘They live in lodgings or tiny, comfortless flats, on a meagre allowance or none.’
- ‘The ocean looked dead and completely comfortless.’
- ‘See to it, brother, that you do not come to that comfortless place.’
- ‘These are bleak, sad stories set in a comfortless world, and the manner of their telling is accordingly plain (but not simple), as though their author has vowed himself to verbal asceticism in pursuit of a hard truth.’
- ‘Their dreary humor seemed perfectly suited to the auditorium, with its frayed orange carpeting and comfortless chairs and flickering fluorescent lights.’
- ‘The air struck chill and comfortless as it breathed upon him.’
- ‘‘We have struggled along for too long with inadequate facilities, in a base that was cold and comfortless, built to house farm machinery, not a 21st century mountain rescue team,’ he says.’
- ‘We repay them by making them spend short, comfortless, unnatural lives, depriving them of their young who can suffer cruelty and brutal deaths.’
- ‘I believed that such wondrous girls walked around Rome with birds on their heads while I suffered the drab and comfortless interior of boarding school for two whole terms.’
2Having or offering nothing that serves to ease feelings or grief or distress.‘it's difficult to get this comfortless message onto any bestseller list’
miserable, broken-hearted, heartbroken, unhappy, sad, grief-stricken, grieving, sorrowful, sorrowing, mourning, anguished, distressed, desolate, devastated, despairing, inconsolable, disconsolate, downcast, down, downhearted, dejected, crestfallen, cheerless, depressed, melancholy, morose, gloomy, glum, mournful, doleful, dismal, forlorn, woeful, woebegone, abject, low-spirited, long-facedView synonyms
- ‘The religious side didn't offend me - I find it meaningless and comfortless, but it just goes over my head.’
- ‘A comfortless, bleak howl at the brutal aspects of relationships, it is the story of four couples falling in love, and then into infidelity and hate.’
- ‘The spring had been part of her, and its loss had left her empty, comfortless.’
- ‘I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.’
- ‘Why were you then comfortless and despondent, when I was escorted by the guards into the jail?’
- ‘It's difficult to get this comfortless message onto any US bestseller list.’
- ‘Probably his most barren and comfortless portrait of modern British life so far, the movie is inflected with necessary moments of light relief in the form of, for example, a sad-but-true depiction of a working men's club karaoke session.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.