One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A person who arrives somewhere.‘feeding every comer is still a sacred duty’
entrant, newcomer, new boy, new girl, incomerView synonyms
- ‘The true entrepreneurial spirit, central to American capitalism, is more often identified with America's newest comers than with its native-born.’
- ‘He seemed to welcome all comers as long as they were young and pretty.’
- ‘‘So thanks for a paper which accommodates all styles and comers.’’
- ‘News of the match would reach home before the early comers got home.’
- ‘Early comers to Longford can enjoy a festival warm-up night.’
2North American informal in singular A person or thing likely to succeed.‘many in the party see tax relief as a comer’
- ‘‘Narrative’ is certainly not a likely comer as justification or test for tradition, nor will a theological school ever be.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.