One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Stop moving; settle.‘the elevator came to rest at the first floor’
a standstill, a halt, a stopView synonyms
- ‘The golden coach bearing the Queen and her family came to rest close behind.’
- ‘The airplane came to rest, upright and on fire, on grass-covered soil, about 290 feet to the left of the departure end of runway 13R.’
- ‘It got nearer and nearer until it eventually came to rest in the centre of the park.’
- ‘The pointer came to rest in about 6 seconds.’
- ‘The vehicle slid to a stop 22 m downstream of its position at impact and came to rest against the downstream section of guardrail.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.