One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Some of Spencer's stuff reminds me eerily of Marc Bolan and early T-Rex, - who didn't come on the scene until a bit later.’
- ‘Maytag came to the homemakers' rescue in the early 1900s when the first gas-powered washing machine came on the scene.’
- ‘Is Barbie responsible for so many girls' obsession with the perfect white wedding, long before the man in question comes on the scene?’
- ‘With the necessity for both parents to work nowadays, many children return home to an empty house having to fend for themselves until an adult comes on the scene.’
- ‘Prior to coming on the scene, Paul, Cam, Andrew and Riche performed and recorded together in relative obscurity - perfecting their craft.’
- ‘A number of local residents had by then come on the scene.’
- ‘When the president came on the scene in 2000, he made it clear that big business should mind its own business.’
- ‘Getting a divorce is fraught with complex issues, particularly when second families come on the scene, she writes.’
- ‘There is usually quite a bit of social realigning once children come on the scene.’
- ‘‘We do ask investment bankers on occasion to review our status and we did it long before Mr. Smith came on the scene,’ he conceded.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.