One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fish of the northeastern Pacific, with small rough scales and long spines in the comblike dorsal fin.
Family Zaniolepididae and genus Zaniolepis: several species
- ‘Within this area fish life is impressive with several species more commonly seen further north: sharp nosed pufferfish, crimson cleaners, combfish and bluefish to name a few.’
- ‘Dozens of demoiselles hovered, waiting for the combfish to remove their parasites while the goatfish below seemed oblivious to the free grooming services available.’
- ‘There are only two species of combfish, one of which occurs in our region.’
- ‘An abundance of jewellery made of fine seeds and shells, pandanus weavings, painted turtle shells and combfish bones also fill the gallery.’
- ‘Yellowtail, seapike, silver sweep, pomfret, nannygais, bullseyes, dozens of moon wrasse, blue gropers and combfish follow you on your dive as you swim around this amazing site.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.