One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A high-backed Windsor chair with a straight top rail.as modifier ‘a comb-back rocker’
- ‘Fan-back chairs, which bear resemblance to comb-backs, were the second Windsor style developed.’
- ‘The comb-back Windsor armchair with traces of its original paint dates to about 1770 and comes from Rhode Island.’
- ‘Nearby is a New Hampshire comb-back rocking chair of about 1825 that retains its original red paint with freehand cream-colored decoration.’
- ‘Because this was such a popular style, antique Windsor chairs are plentiful, and relative bargains can be found (though prices for some rare and distinctive comb-backs soar).’
- ‘This is essentially a replica of one of the later, very stylish comb-backs from Philadelphia.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.