One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A surgical instrument used to examine the vagina and the cervix of the uterus.
- ‘A video of an examination taken using a colposcope can often be more informative than still photographs.’
- ‘Colposcopy involves an out-patient visit to a hospital, where a gynaecologist (doctor specialising in the female reproductive system) examines the cervix closely through a binocular microscope called a colposcope.’
- ‘Examination of the labia, vagina and cervix is greatly enhanced with the use of a colposcope.’
- ‘Magnification devices, such as a colposcope, allow the clinician to observe small lesions that may not otherwise be readily identified.’
- ‘A light is shone on the cervix and the doctor looks through the colposcope (which stays outside the body) to check for any suspicious cells.’
1940s: from Greek kolpos ‘womb’ + -scope.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.