Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A circle with different colored sectors used to show the relationship between colors.
- ‘Sticking to hues immediately next to each other on the color wheel is a foolproof way to ensure a harmonious blend of blooms in a garden planting.’
- ‘Complementary colors are opposite each other on a color wheel.’
- ‘Green is the opposite of red on the color wheel, so when you place green over red, they cancel each other out.’
- ‘Using a group of neighbourly colours from the colour wheel you can create relaxed, comfortable room schemes that are easy to live with.’
- ‘The color wheel can provide suggestions when I'm stumped.’
- ‘By painting his field red, the polar opposite of green on the universal colour wheel, Gauguin sets out the visionary nature of his work.’
- ‘This green, which hovers near the blues on the color wheel, can be a perfect antidote for a room that's top-heavy with warm, dark colors.’
- ‘The use of a color wheel to demonstrate the differences in colors is helpful here.’
- ‘Each section of the color wheel has a certain temperature associated with it, with the blues and whites on the cooler end, and the reds and oranges on the warmer side.’
- ‘Anything on the same side of the color wheel will work.’
- ‘Before we start painting, we need to understand the color wheel.’
- ‘Before reading the story, we discuss the basic colors of the color wheel and I introduce the technique of color-mixing for the students.’
- ‘Accessorise the room with the colours that lie between red and blue on the colour wheel - red-purple, purple, and blue-purple - and remember that a few well-chosen cushions can rescue the most disastrous scheme.’
- ‘Now, you don't have to set your foreground and background colors on opposite sides of the color wheel, but you do need to make sure that there's good visual contrast in your content.’
- ‘Select tones from opposite sides of the color wheel - for example, pair a golden honeycomb shade with deep aubergine velvet panels - to brighten and add punch to your windows.’
- ‘These are colors that are next to each other on the color wheel; examples include blue and violet, orange and red, and orange and yellow.’
- ‘If you are not an expert in colors, you can refer to the color wheel to achieve safe colors.’
- ‘To avoid making mistakes at the outset, check the color wheel below before you buy paint.’
- ‘These are opposite each other on the color wheel, and when subtly used together, they create a dynamic contrast.’
- ‘A border that is turned over to the hotter sections of the colour wheel can stop you dead in your tracks, giving the garden that wow factor you've been hankering for.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.