One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Colored calcimine or tempera.
tint, colour, dye, tinge, shade, pigment, colourantView synonyms
- ‘The paint I will be using will be more of a color wash, so the transfer will have to be light.’
- ‘Using a combination of line drawing and colour wash, Larkin observes the movements of a variety of urban characters.’
- ‘For a stylish and striking look, you could opt for tongue-and-groove wood panelling, which rather than being painted could be decorated with a colour wash so you keep the lovely grain effect.’
- ‘Standing at arm's length from the wall, brush the light colour wash over the walls in a haphazard way.’
- ‘There are two techniques for color wash application: sponge or brush.’
- ‘We can always lighten it with a colour wash or something if we don't like it.’
Paint (something) with colored calcimine or tempera.
tint, dye, tinge, shade, pigment, stain, colour-wash, colour in, paintView synonyms
- ‘The exhibits are for the most part Matcham's own colour-washed drawings, high-quality full-size reproductions of those held in London's Theatre Museum.’
- ‘Half-rendered, half brick walls can be made charming by colour-washing them in smart paint and planting climbers to tone.’
- ‘As a bonus, subtle color-washed drawings by Bob Freeman are used in four stories, borrowed from the original Classic Cars series.’
color wash/ˈkələr ˈˌwäSH/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.