Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Any of three negative images of the same subject taken through green, red, and blue filters and combined to reproduce the full color of the original.
- ‘In advertising, animation plays a major role in graphics design and illustrations, while publishing houses rely on it for page layout and colour separation.’
- ‘The color separation fluctuates almost from one frame to the next - characters and backgrounds change hues willy-nilly, like a psychedelic nightmare.’
- ‘Alas, what we get is a full-frame, middle-grade transfer with decent color separation but weak depth, and some truly annoying edge enhancement.’
- ‘Second and subsequent editions are much less expensive than first printings because the bulk of the color separation work is already finished.’
- 1.1 The production of color separations.
- ‘The photography is excellent, the color separations are consistently accurate, and the localities showcased are arguably the most famous in the world.’
- ‘He uses the computer to create color separations and facilitate his experiments with scale.’
- ‘I had found two different design magazines that used enlarged color separations of the Mona Lisa for an illustration.’
- ‘He specializes in making digital camera color separations look their best, serving printers, graphic designers and photographers.’
- ‘Perhaps the most important lesson I learned was the importance of good color separations.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.