Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The policy or practice of acquiring full or partial political control over another country, occupying it with settlers, and exploiting it economically.
- ‘The most important factor that constrained the development of vast tracts of the planet was colonialism.’
- ‘Cecil Rhodes once said that those who oppose civil war must support colonialism.’
- ‘The war to secure the control of oil and gas resources in Central Asia ushered in a new era of colonialism.’
- ‘Since the end of colonialism, we have acquired decades of evidence of what works and what fails in the third world.’
- ‘The positive case argues that, on the contrary, colonialism played an economically progressive role.’
- ‘To have the leader of a great economic power admit that he has a debt and a duty to the losers of globalisation and colonialism is a massive step forward.’
- ‘In Africa the wars in Angola and Mozambique began as struggles against colonialism.’
- ‘In any case, both groups were against Japanese colonialism and embraced Chinese nationalism.’
- ‘Their fight against and defeat of colonialism brought us political independence.’
- ‘Sugar is as much bound up with the history of slavery and colonialism as cotton, which this column looked at last week.’
- ‘That doesn't mean, however, that anyone opposing colonialism is on the side of human rights, does it?’
- ‘The Cold War was over, colonialism was history, an era of global peace and prosperity seemed imminent.’
- ‘He said the Falklands issue was not one of colonialism or imperialism.’
- ‘This is the clearest manifestation of resurgent imperialism and colonialism on a world scale.’
- ‘This period has been characterised by a resurgence of imperialist wars and outright colonialism.’
- ‘Such academic dominance begs questions of intellectual colonialism and the politics of representation.’
- ‘Another way to come at the statement is through the politics of race and colonialism.’
- ‘Many in the global south regard tourism as a new form of colonialism and cultural imperialism.’
- ‘He left the Communist Party at a later period when its Stalinist policies meant that he was told not to criticise colonialism.’
- ‘What, for instance, is the difference, if any, between imperialism and colonialism?’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.