One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The policy or practice of acquiring full or partial political control over another country, occupying it with settlers, and exploiting it economically.
- ‘Their fight against and defeat of colonialism brought us political independence.’
- ‘He left the Communist Party at a later period when its Stalinist policies meant that he was told not to criticise colonialism.’
- ‘The Cold War was over, colonialism was history, an era of global peace and prosperity seemed imminent.’
- ‘This is the clearest manifestation of resurgent imperialism and colonialism on a world scale.’
- ‘Cecil Rhodes once said that those who oppose civil war must support colonialism.’
- ‘He said the Falklands issue was not one of colonialism or imperialism.’
- ‘What, for instance, is the difference, if any, between imperialism and colonialism?’
- ‘Sugar is as much bound up with the history of slavery and colonialism as cotton, which this column looked at last week.’
- ‘In any case, both groups were against Japanese colonialism and embraced Chinese nationalism.’
- ‘That doesn't mean, however, that anyone opposing colonialism is on the side of human rights, does it?’
- ‘This period has been characterised by a resurgence of imperialist wars and outright colonialism.’
- ‘To have the leader of a great economic power admit that he has a debt and a duty to the losers of globalisation and colonialism is a massive step forward.’
- ‘Another way to come at the statement is through the politics of race and colonialism.’
- ‘The most important factor that constrained the development of vast tracts of the planet was colonialism.’
- ‘Many in the global south regard tourism as a new form of colonialism and cultural imperialism.’
- ‘Such academic dominance begs questions of intellectual colonialism and the politics of representation.’
- ‘In Africa the wars in Angola and Mozambique began as struggles against colonialism.’
- ‘Since the end of colonialism, we have acquired decades of evidence of what works and what fails in the third world.’
- ‘The positive case argues that, on the contrary, colonialism played an economically progressive role.’
- ‘The war to secure the control of oil and gas resources in Central Asia ushered in a new era of colonialism.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.