One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A title given to the honorary head of a regiment in the British army.
- ‘During his morale-boosting visit, Prince Charles, who is colonel-in-chief of the regiment, met about 80 families, including young children.’
- ‘Today Mills Allaf was promoted today to colonel-in-chief by the Royal Norwegian Guard, who are in Scotland to take part in the annual Edinborough military tattoo.’
- ‘He has links with the Green Howards through his godmother, Queen Alexandra, who was the regiment's first colonel-in-chief.’
- ‘Queen Victoria also made the tsar colonel-in-chief of the Royal Scots Greys, and there is correspondence between him and the colonel of the regiment.’
- ‘The colonel-in-chief was visiting the 1st Battalion, The Cheshire Regiment as soldiers prepared to go on a six-month peacekeeping mission to Basra in April.’
- ‘Princess Anne is visiting the camp, also known as the Princess Royal Barracks, in her capacity as the colonel-in-chief of the Royal Logistics Corps.’
- ‘The regiment's previous colonel-in-chief was the Queen Mother, who died in March last year.’
- ‘Again, this is a subject he knows, having served in the forces and being colonel-in-chief of a number of regiments.’
- ‘The Duke of Gloucester is the colonel-in-chief of the Royal Army Medical Corps and the duchess is the colonel-in-chief of the Royal Army Dental Corps.’
- ‘Earlier this year the Queen paid a private visit to the regiment in her role as colonel-in-chief to pay her respects to the families of two servicemen who were killed in action in the early days of the Iraq War two years ago.’
- ‘He said the visit by the princess, who is the regiment's colonel-in-chief, is important because it sends the message that she cares.’
- ‘The men who stormed onto Juno Beach six decades ago are no longer swift, but the aging warriors who met Princess Anne in Regina on Saturday will always be bold heroes in the eyes of their colonel-in-chief.’
- ‘Although the Queen has the final say in appointments of colonels-in-chief, she relies on advice given by senior army officials and staff from the Royal Household.’
- ‘She was colonel, honorary colonel or colonel-in-chief of more than a dozen regiments and units.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.