One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Make (rays of light or particles) accurately parallel.‘a collimated electron beam’
- ‘The TPIAL emits a highly collimated beam of infrared light for precision aiming, as well as a separate infrared illumination beam with adjustable focus.’
- ‘The first and second lenses operate jointly to concentrate and collimate the incident light beam.’
- ‘Once you can gather up and collimate the light coming from an LED, you can use binary optical elements - holographic diffusers - to take that round, highly collimated beam and put it out into designer patterns.’
- ‘The excitation and transmitted light is collimated by a set of focusing lenses on either side of the sample chamber.’
- ‘The scattered light is collimated, and simultaneously detected by a fixed array of 18 transimpedance photodiodes, which span an angular region from 22.5 [degrees] to 147 [degrees].’
- 1.1 Accurately align (an optical or other system).
adjust, regulate, synchronize, coordinate, harmonizeView synonyms
- ‘Our SBC cavity incorporates a single collimating lens located a focal length away from a 1 - D array of laser emitters operating at different wavelengths, with the grating positioned another focal length away on the other side of the lens.’
- ‘In comparison, in a collimated system the peak wavelength varies across the FOV of the etalon filter according to = / 2n.’
- ‘I have done this many times while collimating a telescope's optical alignment and checking for the circular diffraction rings that occur at the same distance in and out of focus.’
- ‘The helicopter's weapon sighting system is the PKV collimating sight.’
- ‘The most common method for measuring retardance and fast-axis orientation involves placing two linear polarizers with horizontally aligned axes between a collimated optical source and a detector.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin collimare, an erroneous reading (in some editions of Cicero) of collineare ‘align or aim’, from col- ‘together with’ + linea ‘line’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.