Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small protuberance, especially one of two pairs in the roof of the midbrain, involved respectively in vision and hearing.
- ‘The posterior thalamic or pulvinar nuclei project backwards over the superior colliculi of the midbrain.’
- ‘Normally it extends caudally over the superior colliculi of the midbrain.’
- ‘Each sensory input is distributed across the superior colliculus to form a neural ‘map’ in a particular layer of the nucleus.’
- ‘This decussation occurs in the midbrain tegmentum at the level of the inferior colliculi.’
- ‘For example, the analysis found a relative increase in the distance between the superior colliculus and the splenium of the corpus collosum in patients.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin, diminutive of collis hill.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.