Sliced raw cabbage mixed with mayonnaise and other vegetables, eaten as a salad.
- ‘Freshly made sandwiches with side salad, coleslaw and potato crisps were priced at £3.50.’
- ‘Salad options include green salad, creamy coleslaw, marinated vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower and carrots) and macaroni salad.’
- ‘These varieties are often used for making coleslaw and other cabbage salads.’
- ‘Mix equal parts low fat mayonnaise and yogurt and use to dress coleslaw or potato salad.’
- ‘I chose a cold baked salmon salad with homemade coleslaw, potato salad and brown bread.’
Late 18th century (originally US): from Dutch koolsla, from kool cabbage + sla (see slaw).