A sheath protecting a young shoot tip in a grass or cereal.
covering, cover, case, casing, envelope, sleeve, wrapperView synonyms
- ‘Samples of roots, shoots, coleoptiles, leaves, whole seeds, endosperm, and embryos were taken at the times indicated in the Results.’
- ‘The coleoptile and all prior sheaths surrounding the fifth leaf were removed down to the seed.’
- ‘In rice, the coleoptiles, leaves and stems all respond to submergence by elongating more quickly.’
- ‘However, in coleoptiles, hypocotyls and epicotyls, gravity can be perceived along the whole length of the responding region and there is no such need to postulate any longitudinal transfer of a message.’
- ‘The aleurone is part of the triploid maize endosperm whereas the coleoptile, scutellum, scutellar node, and root are derived from the developing embryo.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek koleon sheath + ptilon feather.