One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A four-sided frame of boards with a removable glass or plastic top. The frame is placed on the ground and is used to house, protect, and harden off seedlings and small plants, without artificial heat.
- ‘And in winter I never have a lettuce salad unless I've been far-sighted enough to plant in the cold frame.’
- ‘Check greenhouses and cold frames for lost, loose or broken glass, repair them as soon as possible in order to conserve heat and protect plants from draughts.’
- ‘Sow seeds indoors 6 to 8 weeks before the last frost date in your area; or sow on the surface of a sandy soil mix in an open cold frame in early spring.’
- ‘A gardening neighbor had a small cold frame in which she grew hardy flowers for early and late blooms.’
- ‘Sow seeds of herbaceous perennials and alpine plants in a cold frame or unheated greenhouse.’
- ‘Now's a good time to think about growing seedlings, and a great place to grow them is in a cold frame.’
- ‘You may transplant to large pots, a cold frame, or your garden using soil which is fertile and rich.’
- ‘I wasn't sure I could get plants through the winter and restarted into growth with only a cold frame in my current garden.’
- ‘Ventilation - On sunny days in the early fall, it's easy for temperatures within cloches and cold frames to go up more than 20 degrees over ambient temperatures.’
- ‘Spread them out to dry and then rub between the fingers to separate the seed, plant immediately and germinate and grow on in a cold frame.’
- ‘If you want to extend the harvest even longer into fall, protect young plants with row covers or cold frames.’
- ‘I constructed two cold frames for growing lettuce and carrots.’
- ‘In areas where the winter temperatures are likely to drop below 32°F, pots can be kept cool in a trench in the garden or in a cold frame structure, but it's important to keep pots from freezing.’
- ‘According to our thermometers, this combination was not as protective as cold frames covered with glass, but the plants didn't seem to notice.’
- ‘You will learn from experience as you try to grow some of the less common and more difficult primroses that you may have to keep a number of the species in a shaded cold frame rather than try to plant them in the garden itself.’
- ‘Propagation is usually from semi-ripe cuttings with a heel planted in a cold frame in late summer.’
- ‘In a colder climate you may want to have a shaded cold frame available.’
- ‘Hollow pipes attached to the inside wall and spaced regularly along raised beds double as support posts for spring and fall season-extending cold frames or summer trellises for vine crops’
- ‘After he determined the cold frame's final size, Ray bought a few sheets of 1/2-inch plywood.’
- ‘Bulbs forced inside or grown in cold frames in portable containers can easily be placed into large, outdoor containers at flowering time.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.