Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A cosmetic preparation used for cleansing and softening the skin.
lotion, cream, balm, emollient, salve, unguent, lubricantView synonyms
- ‘Anything petroleum based (vaseline, hand lotion, cold cream, other things) will very quickly dissolve little holes in the latex of a condom and can make it break.’
- ‘The latest travesty in jazzed up cold cream will make your skin ‘happier’.’
- ‘Paul, have you used any cold cream or make-up remover to take that stuff off?’
- ‘Removing the makeup was quick-it came right off with cold cream.’
- ‘Many a woman gets by with a plain jar of cold cream.’
- ‘Stage a production on your bathroom countertop to make stars out of dull extras, such as soaps, cotton balls, and cold cream.’
- ‘In addition to the aforementioned miracle cream, I have also been putting cold cream on before I go to bed and in a last ditch effort to moisturize from the inside out, I have taken to drinking about 20 glasses of water a day.’
- ‘Stella's only response is to apply more cold cream.’
- ‘The reports identified a number of daunting problems the firm would have to face in its efforts to sell cold cream abroad.’
- ‘She applied cold cream to her face and washed the white make-up off, and then she undid her hair from the bun.’
- ‘Faces were gleaming with cold cream and you tootled off to your allocated shelter in the pitch dark, and before you got there the ‘all clear’ went.’
- ‘Divers rummaging here have found bottles of cold cream, canisters of celluloid photographic film, silver salt cellars, printing stamps, shaving kits and lead soldiers.’
- ‘Our first view of her couldn't be less flattering, appearing as she does with face covered in cold cream, hair taped back, and cigarette in hand.’
- ‘Professional make-up can be hard to apply and even harder to remove - the best method is frequently old-fashioned cold cream, such as Pond's Cold Cream cleanser, followed by a gentle toner such as Neutrogena's Alcohol-Free Toner.’
- ‘Every winter in Pune, my skin would go dry and I would have to apply vaseline or some cold cream to my lips and face.’
- ‘You can also take any white skin cream you have on hand - cold cream will do - and mix in enough red pepper to turn it pink.’
- ‘For those in a rush, you can always remove the day's make-up and grime with cold cream, then softly exfoliate the face with a baby's soft toothbrush.’
cold cream/ˈkōl(d) ˌkrēm/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.