Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[as modifier] Denoting very thick lenses for glasses or glasses with such lenses.
- ‘His monologue drew another specialist to his side: Grigory Yeryomkin, a researcher at Moscow State University, whose Coke-bottle glasses sat askew on his face.’
- ‘Eyes exist behind Coke-bottle glasses, pupils droopy from one too many ‘graphic novels.’’
- ‘Put away the geeky guy with Coke-bottle glasses and a pocket protector stereotype: turns out that more women than men are playing online games.’
- ‘You can almost hear his Coke-bottle glasses fogging up with fear.’
- ‘Wanamaker, dressed down in Coke-bottle glasses, adds a bit of bumbling good nature.’
- ‘In high school I took driver's ed from a guy who wore Coke-bottle glasses and blasted gospel music as we swerved and veered in his Chevy Celebrity.’
- ‘When I was six, I had Coke-bottle glasses, ill-fitting slacks and I played with Transformers.’
- ‘It sounds more like a chubby schoolboy in shorts and Coke-bottle glasses.’
- ‘Coaxing Dan to conquer his demons is his therapist, played by an almost unrecognizable Mel Gibson in a hammy bald wig and Coke-bottle glasses.’
- ‘His dry English wit combined with Coke-bottle glasses equals excellent comedy.’
- ‘If you don't think the Buckeyes are the best team in the Big Ten, then you must think it's OK to go out in public wearing Coke-bottle glasses, white socks and black shoes.’
- ‘One can easily imagine an elderly person with Coke-bottle specs and a bit of a palsy shake having some trouble with the set-up, as alleged by Florida Democrats.’
- ‘Jillie took in the thick Coke-bottle glasses, the dark hair that went every which way but down.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.