One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounPlural cohoes, Plural cohos
A deep-bodied North Pacific salmon with small black spots.
Oncorhynchus kisutch, family SalmonidaeAlso called silver salmon
- ‘Some other common names for Oncorhynchus kisutch are coho, silver, blueback, and hook nose salmon.’
- ‘Each run of Pacific chinook, coho, sockeye, pink, and chum salmon knows how to survive in a specific spawning stream.’
- ‘Plasma levels of GH increase following seawater exposure of coho, chum and Atlantic salmon and rainbow trout.’
- ‘The Seymour hatchery raises and releases about 750,000 smolts annually, including pink, chum, coho, chinook salmon, cutthroat trout and steelhead.’
- ‘The Bristol Bay region draws five species of Pacific salmon - sockeyes, kings, pinks, chums and silvers (cohos) - plus char, resident Dolly Varden trout and grayling.’
Mid 19th century: probably from Salish.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.