One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A type of psychotherapy in which negative patterns of thought about the self and the world are challenged in order to alter unwanted behavior patterns or treat mood disorders such as depression.
- ‘She points out that a good attitude alone isn't going to make symptoms vanish, and she doubts that cognitive therapy would improve her chronic fatigue.’
- ‘A psychologist specialising in phobias and cognitive therapy then discusses the causes of anticipatory anxiety, panic attacks and how to combat these conditions in a special seminar.’
- ‘At the same time, he applied Beck's model of cognitive therapy to understanding and treating dysfunctional family dynamics.’
- ‘Adult patients were assigned to receive or not receive cognitive therapy for bipolar affective disorder.’
- ‘There are a number of effective treatments - cognitive therapy, interpersonal therapy, pharmacotherapy - that help people in episodes of acute depression.’
- ‘If you'd have told this old neurologist that I'd be doing cognitive therapy I'd have said you were mad, but quite frankly, it's very fundamental to what we're seeing.’
- ‘Studies of cognitive therapy, psychodynamic therapy and hypnosis suggest that these approaches may also hold promise.’
- ‘An increasingly important form of group therapy for addiction is based on the principles of cognitive therapy.’
- ‘She also argues that destructive schemas can be brought ‘into the light’ through mindfulness, cognitive therapy and Buddhist teachings.’
- ‘Anger experts agree that breaking this cycle requires more than an intellectual understanding, which is why cognitive therapy alone doesn't work for many angry people.’
- ‘Treatment with cognitive therapy yielded the highest drop-out rate.’
- ‘The brains of depressed individuals respond differently to cognitive therapy than to drug therapy, according to a University of Toronto study.’
- ‘The strategies - relaxation, cognitive therapy and skill development - are new applications of existing concepts, he says.’
- ‘Many family physicians incorporate psychological support and modified cognitive therapy into care.’
- ‘It's not an accident that cognitive therapy is one of the most researched and practiced of depression treatments.’
- ‘The only research on this treatment for generalised anxiety disorder compared it with cognitive therapy, but the results were inconclusive.’
- ‘There are many proven treatments for depression - medication, cognitive therapy, interpersonal therapy.’
- ‘Like behavior therapy, cognitive therapy focuses on your current problems to alleviate symptoms, rather than addressing underlying or past conflicts.’
- ‘Talking treatments include counselling, behavioural therapy, cognitive therapy, group therapy and psychoanalysis.’
- ‘He cautions that this theory is still speculative, but it could support a radical idea: treating schizophrenia with cognitive therapy.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.