One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cake, often cinnamon-flavored, with a drizzled white icing or crumb topping, and usually eaten with coffee.
- ‘She thanked the old lady for her wonderful coffee cake and for letting her stay in her house to wait for Andrew.’
- ‘You might, for example, make a coffee cake with chocolate in it.’
- ‘The coffee cake they sent us home with was just the thing for breakfast the next morning.’
- ‘If it's anything like all of those Sunday School Teacher Appreciation breakfasts I attended growing up, there will be plenty of sour cream coffee cake for everyone.’
- ‘Whenever I've had relationships that are solely sexual, they've crumbled faster than a dry coffee cake.’
- ‘I had a large bag of walnuts left over from another Nancy recipe experience: the walnut coffee cake that didn't cook all the way through.’
- ‘The end result looks more like a coffee cake than a bread.’
- ‘Praise was showered upon me for the cardamom coffee cake, challah, rolls, pesto pizza, etc…’
- ‘I reached across the table and grabbed a piece of the coffee cake.’
- ‘With New Jersey blueberries selling for 99 cents at my local grocery store, I've been making coffee cake with blueberries in it.’
- ‘I'd predict that scents like coffee cake and Belgian waffles would be popular for general home fragrancing.’
- ‘The blueberry-cream cheese coffee cake is worth making up for with a lighter lunch or dinner, I can assure you.’
- ‘Ann took a fancy to the coffee cake but was worried that it might have been dry.’
- ‘I made a blueberry tart yesterday and we have a blueberry coffee cake cooling down as we speak.’
- ‘The resulting cake was simply wonderful, fine-crumbed and moist, and reminded me a lot of the coffee cakes I like to make.’
- ‘There were coffee cakes, Popsicles and peanut butter cookies.’
- ‘And if there is still room for sweets, the restaurant offers a wide range of cakes: cheese, apple, fruit, marble and coffee cake.’
- ‘‘Take some cake instead,’ said Eloise sweetly, offering him some of her coffee cake.’
- ‘Breakfast, as per her request, consisted of butter streusel coffee cake.’
- ‘They fill their plates with slices of lavender-scented pound cake, streusel-topped coffee cake, lemon buttermilk bundt cake, and a rich chocolate cake.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.