A small, slender, bipedal, carnivorous dinosaur with long forelimbs, from which the birds are believed to have evolved.
- ‘Predatory dinosaurs of the Jurassic included fearsome carnosaurs such as Allosaurus, small, fast coelurosaurs, and ceratosaurs such as Dilophosaurus.’
- ‘Around the same time the allosaurs appeared, another subgroup of the tetanurans, the coelurosaurs, also branched off.’
- ‘This little animal, Sinosauropteryx, is a fairly primitive coelurosaur, so you would not expect to see feathers on it.’
- ‘Most skin impressions from dinosaurs indicate the presence of naked skin, except for integumentary structures in coelurosaurs that may have afforded thermal insulation.’
- ‘Recent studies have agreed that T. rex and the tyrannosaurs belong with the coelurosaurs, not with the carnosaurs as was originally believed.’
1950s: from Greek koilos hollow + oura tail + sauros lizard.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.