Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The body cavity in metazoans, located between the intestinal canal and the body wall.
- ‘Flatworms are unsegmented, bilaterally symmetrical worms that lack a coelom but that do have three germ layers.’
- ‘The ophiuroid coelom is strongly reduced, particularly in comparison to other echinoderms.’
- ‘In mellitids, the intestine is separated from the rest of the coelom by a well-defined wall of the peripheral ballast system.’
- ‘The coelom extends into the rays, where the gonads are located.’
- ‘Except in leeches, the coelom is partially subdivided by septa.’
Late 19th century: from Greek koilōma cavity.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.