One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An aquatic invertebrate animal of a phylum that includes jellyfishes, corals, and sea anemones. They are distinguished by having a tube- or cup-shaped body and a single opening ringed with tentacles.Also called cnidarian
- ‘Some Late Precambrian Ediacaran fossils bear strong resemblances to colonial coelenterates called sea pens.’
- ‘Seabather's eruption occurs when a person is exposed to the larvae of certain coelenterates.’
- ‘Throughout the wreck dive we have been shadowed by thousands of coelenterates, drifting by like a slow hail of souls.’
- ‘Over 200 species of micro-organisms, fish, crustaceans, polychaetes, echinoderms, coelenterates, and molluscs have been identified in the vent areas.’
- ‘Surfers more often encounter free-floating coelenterates such as the true jellyfish, Portuguese man-of-war, and box jellyfish.’
Late 19th century: from modern Latin Coelenterata, from Greek koilos ‘hollow’ + enteron ‘intestine’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.