Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An ancient manuscript text in book form.
- ‘Whether codex or manuscript, they were here to love real books and real words.’
- ‘These studies and sketches were collected into various codices and manuscripts, which are now collected by museums and individuals.’
- ‘She peppers her recipes with citations from the ancient Aztec codices.’
- ‘The only known surviving copy of the gospel was found in a codex, or ancient book, that dates back to the third or fourth century A.D.’
- ‘The later development of the codex (roughly corresponding to our present book format) made for greater ease of reference and portability.’
- ‘For a more informed assessment of Italian culture in the early Middle Ages we can now turn to the collections of ancient Latin codices in the libraries of the period.’
- ‘One example is this twelfth-century illumination from another Greek codex of the book of Job.’
- ‘The modern book descends from the codex, not the scroll, and it inherits and develops the advantages of the form.’
- ‘The Sierra codex was a document written by the master historian and master of deception, Crassus Syra, a runaway from home disguised as a man.’
- ‘Three codices survived the vandalism of Bishop Landa and these three burned around the edges.’
- ‘The original codex permitted digestible chunks of text to be presented on physical pages, but the electronic text is in essence pageless.’
- ‘The novelist incorrectly refers to the Nag Hammadi documents as scrolls; they are actually codices.’
- ‘In AD 180 he may have known examples of the four gospels bound together in one codex.’
- ‘He suggests that they indicate that the stone vessel may have originally contained a Maya codex, or ancient book.’
- ‘She holds a scroll, he a codex, on both of which the writing is clearly legible.’
- ‘Linguistic or numerical listing was employed and the storage media were clay tablets, papyrus codices, leather scrolls or hieroglyphics.’
- ‘Like a medieval codex, the book seems laced with charms and spells, to seduce the innocent and repel the hostile.’
- ‘Psychomachia, an allegorical poem, is illustrated throughout, as is the case in many other codices presenting this text.’
- ‘Through the Vatican codex the text sets up an expectation that is then fulfilled in the images.’
- ‘For centuries before the codex became the normal form for the book, texts had been recorded on papyrus sheets glued together to form long rolls.’
- 1.1An official list of medicines, chemicals, etc.
- ‘Neither the philosophical content of the 12th century book nor the religious content of the law codex stimulated the creation of such a decoration program.’
- ‘A significant group of Frankish legal codices reflects the activity of a small group of scribes presided over by the cancellarius and associated with the royal court.’
- ‘‘Let your memory be your codex,’ writes Augustine.’
- ‘The Vatican codex, however, is of an altogether different genre.’
- ‘Nahuatl terms written in alphabetical characters accompany the multitude of indigenous persons, places, and things listed and depicted in the codex.’
- ‘This codex and similar specifications helped in identifying environmentally friendly as well as harmful chemicals.’
- ‘The chief judicial authorities must be clergy with advanced training in the codices of Islamic law.’
- ‘In the case of the Vatican codex, its visual and verbal articulations function as a political tool that masks fracture as much as it creates cohesion.’
Late 16th century (denoting a collection of statutes or set of rules): from Latin, literally block of wood later denoting a block split into leaves or tablets for writing on, hence a book.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.