One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Excessive emotional or psychological reliance on a partner, typically one who requires support on account of an illness or addiction.
- ‘The children were reunited and now work on their codependency in therapy.’
- ‘When we fail to do this and make someone else the center of our lives, we're moving away from healthy connection and toward unhealthy codependency, she adds.’
- ‘His insight into the codependency of progress and poverty undermined the 19th-century belief in the uninterrupted progress of Western civilization.’
- ‘By the end of the last decade, a kind of codependency had evolved between the two countries.’
- ‘The entire relationship turns into a game of guess-my-mood, a relentless exercise in codependency.’
- ‘I have become painfully aware that codependency is making what everybody else thinks more important than what I think.’
- ‘The ‘issues’ the reviewer complains about are in fact relatively minor to the plot which centres on the codependency between abuser and victim, mother and daughter.’
- ‘Scores of self-help books have been written from a conservative standpoint on how to have a happy marriage, make more money, or overcome codependency.’
- ‘Members of the denomination must understand that pastor codependency is a serious problem.’
- ‘I am seeing a trend toward openness and communication between the two disciplines as they gain a clearer understanding of their codependency.’
- ‘As brilliant as the documentary was, it did not contain Harvey's personal life - his lovers, his codependency, his friends.’
- ‘From the standpoint of the U.S. side of the global codependency, the official purchases along with private market purchases have tended to hamper dollar depreciation.’
- ‘It seems likely that the codependency will break down long before this.’
- ‘Come in Monday morning as if to a new job, and break the codependency between you and your beloved.’
- ‘It does not advance them at all; it gets them enmeshed in a relationship of codependency.’
- ‘If I had known that this level of codependency existed between them, you better believe I would have exercised more caution.’
- ‘It depicts both the conflicts and the codependency between innovators and institutions, both governmental and private.’
- ‘And what exactly is codependency, the psychological condition that has apparently swept the nation?’
- ‘It's imperative, he says, not to create codependency with the organization.’
- ‘The program is for people who are working on issues such as chemical and process addictions, codependency and dysfunctional family issues.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.