One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Excessive emotional or psychological reliance on a partner, typically one who requires support on account of an illness or addiction.
- ‘The program is for people who are working on issues such as chemical and process addictions, codependency and dysfunctional family issues.’
- ‘By the end of the last decade, a kind of codependency had evolved between the two countries.’
- ‘As brilliant as the documentary was, it did not contain Harvey's personal life - his lovers, his codependency, his friends.’
- ‘It does not advance them at all; it gets them enmeshed in a relationship of codependency.’
- ‘The ‘issues’ the reviewer complains about are in fact relatively minor to the plot which centres on the codependency between abuser and victim, mother and daughter.’
- ‘When we fail to do this and make someone else the center of our lives, we're moving away from healthy connection and toward unhealthy codependency, she adds.’
- ‘From the standpoint of the U.S. side of the global codependency, the official purchases along with private market purchases have tended to hamper dollar depreciation.’
- ‘The entire relationship turns into a game of guess-my-mood, a relentless exercise in codependency.’
- ‘His insight into the codependency of progress and poverty undermined the 19th-century belief in the uninterrupted progress of Western civilization.’
- ‘It's imperative, he says, not to create codependency with the organization.’
- ‘It seems likely that the codependency will break down long before this.’
- ‘The children were reunited and now work on their codependency in therapy.’
- ‘And what exactly is codependency, the psychological condition that has apparently swept the nation?’
- ‘If I had known that this level of codependency existed between them, you better believe I would have exercised more caution.’
- ‘Scores of self-help books have been written from a conservative standpoint on how to have a happy marriage, make more money, or overcome codependency.’
- ‘I have become painfully aware that codependency is making what everybody else thinks more important than what I think.’
- ‘I am seeing a trend toward openness and communication between the two disciplines as they gain a clearer understanding of their codependency.’
- ‘Members of the denomination must understand that pastor codependency is a serious problem.’
- ‘It depicts both the conflicts and the codependency between innovators and institutions, both governmental and private.’
- ‘Come in Monday morning as if to a new job, and break the codependency between you and your beloved.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.