One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sleep-inducing and analgesic drug derived from morphine.
- ‘If this does not work the second step is to continue these drugs and add a weak synthetic opium imitator such as codeine or oxycodone.’
- ‘Opiates - drugs like codeine and morphine that contain or are derived from opium - are considered low-grade narcotics.’
- ‘You should take warm baths and take painkillers if necessary, but avoid painkillers containing codeine as these often have side effects.’
- ‘In addition, staff were concerned that pain might be undertreated once acetaminophen with codeine was the only analgesic used for pain management.’
- ‘The question of interest is not so much whether they are potent analgesics compared with codeine but, rather, which painful conditions they are effective in.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek kōdeia ‘poppy head’ + -ine.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.