Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A joint defendant.
- ‘As you probably know, you have three codefendants, and if none of them are able to hire counsel the public defender's office will be appointed.’
- ‘The only incriminating evidence found in his apartment was a telephone book with numerous names, including those of several codefendants in the case.’
- ‘In May 1980, his two codefendants were released by the Court of Criminal Appeal.’
- ‘He always maintained his innocence in the inmate murder, and his codefendant testified all along that he alone had committed the murder in self-defense.’
- ‘Two of his codefendants confessed to their parts in the robbery, and one codefendant turned state's evidence in return for a reduced sentence.’
- ‘If convicted, he and his codefendants could face the death penalty, but they could appeal before another chamber of the special tribunal.’
- ‘The legal advisor to the four told the press he believed that the four codefendants would end up with ‘just a couple of months in jail.’’
- ‘He and his codefendants were convicted, but the verdict was overturned on appeal.’
- ‘He stuck the company with a bill for slightly more than $1 million, a minuscule part of the $600 million prosecutors charge him and his codefendant with looting from the company.’
- ‘If in this case, ‘a friend’ means me and my codefendants, I guess that's pretty accurate.’
- ‘In the courtroom, the 58-year-old took a seat next to his codefendant and ex-lover, a buxom 34-year-old redhead.’
- ‘The judge agreed and found that he and his codefendant had violated the terms of their supervised release.’
- ‘The court deferred sentencing until the trial of two additional codefendants is complete.’
- ‘This gang leader was re-arrested after he and his codefendants staged a dramatic lunchtime escape during their court appearance.’
- ‘Originally, you were a codefendant in this case, is that not true?’
- ‘In this way, if there is a lawsuit, the reprocessing company would be brought in as a codefendant.’
- ‘As a result, all three of my codefendants were found guilty on this charge.’
- ‘In the past, confessions extracted from defendants or codefendants by illegal means could mutually complement to serve as evidence.’
- ‘The defendants would sell the filled prescriptions for cash to codefendants.’
- ‘He also named the former prime minister, who was in charge of police as home minister, and the government as codefendants in his suit.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.