Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The practice of alternating between two or more languages or varieties of language in conversation.‘the conversational code-switching of the German-American bilingual community’
- ‘Another interesting trend in the interviews was that several children naturally used code-switching (Korean to English or vice versa) during the picture book reading interactions with their mothers.’
- ‘Widespread code-switching often indicates greater or less shift towards the more dominant of the two languages.’
- ‘Because of code-switching, it seems unlikely that a colloquial variety of English alone will develop.’
- ‘Rather than choose constant code-switching without translation into English, she simply allows in her writing what linguists call interference.’
- ‘Another of her interests is bilingualism and code-switching among bilinguals.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.