One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The practice of alternating between two or more languages or varieties of language in conversation.‘the conversational code-switching of the German-American bilingual community’
- ‘Rather than choose constant code-switching without translation into English, she simply allows in her writing what linguists call interference.’
- ‘Another of her interests is bilingualism and code-switching among bilinguals.’
- ‘Another interesting trend in the interviews was that several children naturally used code-switching (Korean to English or vice versa) during the picture book reading interactions with their mothers.’
- ‘Because of code-switching, it seems unlikely that a colloquial variety of English alone will develop.’
- ‘Widespread code-switching often indicates greater or less shift towards the more dominant of the two languages.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.