Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The practice of alternating between two or more languages or varieties of language in conversation.‘the conversational code-switching of the German-American bilingual community’
- ‘Because of code-switching, it seems unlikely that a colloquial variety of English alone will develop.’
- ‘Another of her interests is bilingualism and code-switching among bilinguals.’
- ‘Rather than choose constant code-switching without translation into English, she simply allows in her writing what linguists call interference.’
- ‘Another interesting trend in the interviews was that several children naturally used code-switching (Korean to English or vice versa) during the picture book reading interactions with their mothers.’
- ‘Widespread code-switching often indicates greater or less shift towards the more dominant of the two languages.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.