One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Oil pressed from the fresh liver of cod, which is rich in vitamins D and A.
- ‘There's a risk of toxicity from excess accumulation of vitamin A from the sun, dietary sources, vitamin supplements and cod liver oil.’
- ‘Use of other vitamin D supplements during the first year of life and maternal use of cod liver oil or other vitamin D supplements during pregnancy were not associated with type 1 diabetes.’
- ‘When he treated the children with vitamin A, using only the recommended daily allowance of cod liver oil, their chronic ear infections stopped.’
- ‘Like others, she saw stout as a good way to ward off colds and coughs - the equivalent of giving a child a spoonful of cod liver oil.’
- ‘Research from the United States indicates that children prone to glue ear could benefit from cod liver oil and vitamins.’
- ‘A few days back, when I had a spot of back trouble, I decided to give my joints a treat and go onto a course of cod liver oil and glucosamine capsules.’
- ‘According to the market analysis firm, Britons spend nearly £80m a year on cod liver oil and other fish oil preparations.’
- ‘While writing these articles I have been taking multivitamins, primrose oil capsules, cod liver oil capsules, vitamin C and vitamin E.’
- ‘In 1941 the Vitamin Welfare Scheme was set up to issue cheap milk, concentrated orange juice, cod liver oil, and vitamin A and D tablets to pregnant women and children under 5.’
- ‘Oil-rich fish and supplements such as fish oil and cod liver oil are the richest and most readily available sources.’
- ‘Nanny is trying to get me to take that awful cod liver oil!’
- ‘At least 16 years ago, research published in the medical journal demonstrated the protective power of cod liver oil in pig arteries.’
- ‘Rather than eating fish, which is largely contaminated with PCBs and mercury, consume a high-quality purified fish or cod liver oil.’
- ‘I have seen soft teeth harden after cod liver oil and lots of butter are added to the diet.’
- ‘We would caution against regular use of cod liver oil.’
- ‘A reasonable dose of fish oil or cod liver oil, for instance, consists of 1 teaspoon daily for every 50 pounds of body weight.’
- ‘Eat small meals throughout the day, always have some protein at every meal, always eat your fruits and vegetables, and take your cod liver oil.’
- ‘More than half of Irish adults use food supplements such as vitamins, minerals and cod liver oil, the organisation says.’
- ‘Arrange some parsley purêe, roasted garlic cloves and grape tomatoes around the dish and drizzle some garlic cream and cod liver oil around the dish.’
- ‘No animal fats or oily fish means practically no vitamins A and D - good old fashioned cod liver oil should sort this out - or vitamin B12.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.