One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Oil pressed from the fresh liver of cod, which is rich in vitamins D and A.
- ‘Oil-rich fish and supplements such as fish oil and cod liver oil are the richest and most readily available sources.’
- ‘In 1941 the Vitamin Welfare Scheme was set up to issue cheap milk, concentrated orange juice, cod liver oil, and vitamin A and D tablets to pregnant women and children under 5.’
- ‘Use of other vitamin D supplements during the first year of life and maternal use of cod liver oil or other vitamin D supplements during pregnancy were not associated with type 1 diabetes.’
- ‘Eat small meals throughout the day, always have some protein at every meal, always eat your fruits and vegetables, and take your cod liver oil.’
- ‘No animal fats or oily fish means practically no vitamins A and D - good old fashioned cod liver oil should sort this out - or vitamin B12.’
- ‘Rather than eating fish, which is largely contaminated with PCBs and mercury, consume a high-quality purified fish or cod liver oil.’
- ‘While writing these articles I have been taking multivitamins, primrose oil capsules, cod liver oil capsules, vitamin C and vitamin E.’
- ‘More than half of Irish adults use food supplements such as vitamins, minerals and cod liver oil, the organisation says.’
- ‘Nanny is trying to get me to take that awful cod liver oil!’
- ‘We would caution against regular use of cod liver oil.’
- ‘A reasonable dose of fish oil or cod liver oil, for instance, consists of 1 teaspoon daily for every 50 pounds of body weight.’
- ‘When he treated the children with vitamin A, using only the recommended daily allowance of cod liver oil, their chronic ear infections stopped.’
- ‘Arrange some parsley purêe, roasted garlic cloves and grape tomatoes around the dish and drizzle some garlic cream and cod liver oil around the dish.’
- ‘Like others, she saw stout as a good way to ward off colds and coughs - the equivalent of giving a child a spoonful of cod liver oil.’
- ‘A few days back, when I had a spot of back trouble, I decided to give my joints a treat and go onto a course of cod liver oil and glucosamine capsules.’
- ‘I have seen soft teeth harden after cod liver oil and lots of butter are added to the diet.’
- ‘At least 16 years ago, research published in the medical journal demonstrated the protective power of cod liver oil in pig arteries.’
- ‘According to the market analysis firm, Britons spend nearly £80m a year on cod liver oil and other fish oil preparations.’
- ‘There's a risk of toxicity from excess accumulation of vitamin A from the sun, dietary sources, vitamin supplements and cod liver oil.’
- ‘Research from the United States indicates that children prone to glue ear could benefit from cod liver oil and vitamins.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.