One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An elegant dress suitable for semiformal social occasions.
- ‘So I showed up in a cocktail dress with ruffles down the back and my hair up in a chignon.’
- ‘If it was an A-line cocktail dress with a dusting of floral accents, it would have been a much better fit within the overall collection.’
- ‘She shivers in her cocktail dress and he tells her to put on something sensible, like one of his sweaters.’
- ‘She wore a short cocktail dress and high-heeled sandals but still, she looked gorgeous.’
- ‘Ok, the fluffy pink brocade cocktail dress is hard to miss.’
- ‘There are some styles that actually look exactly like and can be used as a cocktail dress.’
- ‘Dressed in a ravishing cocktail dress of a silky dark blue, she smiled at both of them widely brown eyes twinkling.’
- ‘She apparently didn't care much about getting water all over her designer cocktail dress.’
- ‘Forget about it if you were trying to find a bra to suit that backless cocktail dress or strapless evening gown!’
- ‘Trent watched Ally walk away from him, her black cocktail dress hugging her in all the perfect places.’
- ‘It is astonishing what you can get away with when you deliver it in a cocktail dress with disarming charm.’
- ‘The strangest thing about her was her outfit; she wore a white cocktail dress covered with small black polka dots.’
- ‘She was in a brown cocktail dress, because she had been out ‘networking’ all night at various clubs around the city.’
- ‘My mom and I are scouring New York City for a cream-colored cocktail dress that will show off my long legs.’
- ‘His mother walked into the room wearing a black cocktail dress.’
- ‘Her hair was swept into a lovely updo, her black cocktail dress softly hugged her curves, and her jewelry, a single strand of pearls, was subdued and lovely.’
- ‘She was mowing the lawn in a cocktail dress with a pair of yellow high heels.’
- ‘Have you ever tried buying a cocktail dress at this time of year, for example?’
- ‘It was a cocktail dress that Lucy had bought her two years ago for the exhibits she attends to show off her pieces.’
- ‘The event is black tie or leisure suit, and cocktail dress or formal gown for the ladies.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.