One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘There is a whole lot more going on at these cockfights than just the cockfighting, although that in itself is bad enough.’
- ‘We'd have cockfights every Friday and Saturday night.’
- ‘Until about 1830, many Americans gambled in taverns and at cockfights, while gentlemen bet on horse races.’
- ‘You can legally own a gamecock in 18 states and visit a cockfight as a spectator in nine.’
- ‘This festival combines church ceremonies with horse racing, bullfights, cockfights, and a spirited carnival.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.