One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small spaniel of a breed with a silky coat.
pamper, spoil, overindulge, coddle, mollycoddle, cosset, nanny, nursemaid, mother, baby, pet, spoon-feed, feather-bed, wrap in cotton wool, overparentView synonyms
- ‘Small spaniel dogs weighing up to 25 pounds were called cockers because they were used to hunt woodcocks.’
- ‘Lannie sat on the floor, grinning happily, as a puppy cocker spaniel, Pounce, jumped in glee around her.’
- ‘The association had listed the cocker among 40 breeds deemed ‘not good’ with children.’
- ‘The family's two dogs, a cocker spaniel and a Siberian husky had the run of the house.’
- ‘It was the family's other dog, a three-year-old cocker spaniel, who alerted them to the fact that the old dog, Angus, had got out of the garden of their home.’
Early 19th century: from cock + -er (the dog was bred to flush out game birds such as woodcock).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.