One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A disease of birds and mammals that chiefly affects the intestines, caused by coccidia.
The coccidia belong to the genera Eimeria, Isopora, and others
- ‘Water was supplemented with the chemical, to suppress Isosporan coccidiosis, an ubiquitous disease of goldfinches that will quickly kill aviary birds.’
- ‘In recent years, poultry production has become increasingly threatened by a major parasitic disease called coccidiosis.’
- ‘Preventive drug treatment for coccidiosis costs the industry over $600 million annually in addition to the disease related losses incurred by commercial growers.’
- ‘Male house finches, experimentally infected with coccidiosis grow a less red plumage and are less often selected by females.’
- ‘Very little is known of the epidemiology of coccidiosis in free-living wild turkeys.’
Late 19th century: from coccidium (singular of modern Latin Coccidia; see coccidia)+ -osis.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.