One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Parasitic protozoa of a group that includes those that cause diseases such as coccidiosis and toxoplasmosis.
- ‘Drug-resistant coccidia parasites are on the rise, reducing the effectiveness of antibiotics.’
- ‘We added the chemical to the drinking water during the pretreatment period to prevent the spread of coccidia, a common endoparasite of house finches.’
- ‘We tested whether male finches with experimentally elevated testosterone would be more likely to harbor coccidia, protozoan parasites that may cause coccidiosis.’
- ‘We used fecal egg counts to measure intensity of infection by T. tenuis worms and coccidia.’
- ‘I tested these hypotheses experimentally in a host-parasite system involving wild turkeys and their intestinal protozoal parasites, the eimerian coccidia.’
Mid 19th century: from modern Latin (former order name), from Greek kokkis, diminutive of kokkos ‘berry’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.