One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A homopteran insect of the family Coccidae; a scale insect.
- ‘Biological control programs targeted against the two groups of pests have had variable outcomes, with more success often achieved against coccids than against aphids.’
- ‘The ants had established regular colonies in the cavities with a queen, workers and brood, together with coccids fixed on the inner walls of the stem.’
- ‘The only downside is the vigour of the tree, which is weakened by the sap sucking of the coccids.’
- ‘The tiny adult males are winged but the female coccids remain in the galls all their lives.’
- ‘Aphids and coccids are major pests of agriculture and forestry throughout the world.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.