One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A homopteran insect of the family Coccidae; a scale insect.
- ‘The tiny adult males are winged but the female coccids remain in the galls all their lives.’
- ‘The ants had established regular colonies in the cavities with a queen, workers and brood, together with coccids fixed on the inner walls of the stem.’
- ‘Aphids and coccids are major pests of agriculture and forestry throughout the world.’
- ‘Biological control programs targeted against the two groups of pests have had variable outcomes, with more success often achieved against coccids than against aphids.’
- ‘The only downside is the vigour of the tree, which is weakened by the sap sucking of the coccids.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.