Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A homopteran insect of the family "Coccidae"; a scale insect.
- ‘Aphids and coccids are major pests of agriculture and forestry throughout the world.’
- ‘The tiny adult males are winged but the female coccids remain in the galls all their lives.’
- ‘The only downside is the vigour of the tree, which is weakened by the sap sucking of the coccids.’
- ‘Biological control programs targeted against the two groups of pests have had variable outcomes, with more success often achieved against coccids than against aphids.’
- ‘The ants had established regular colonies in the cavities with a queen, workers and brood, together with coccids fixed on the inner walls of the stem.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.