Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(the condition due to) excessive use of or addiction to cocaine.
- ‘In all of these, it should be used for short periods, and any symptoms of cocainism should be a warning to cease its administration.’
- ‘This question cannot be treated exclusively in reference to alcoholism, morphinism, cocainism, etc., which all reasonable men acknowledge to be evils.’
- ‘In the opinion of the committee, coca chewing must be considered a form of cocainism.’
- ‘It is only too true that alcoholism, cocainism, and other supposed means of getting beyond a monotonous daily life are becoming increasingly prevalent among women.’
- ‘We will discuss clinically important new techniques in other areas of treatment, including treatments for cocainism and surgery for resistant obesity as well.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.