One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(the condition due to) excessive use of or addiction to cocaine.
- ‘This question cannot be treated exclusively in reference to alcoholism, morphinism, cocainism, etc., which all reasonable men acknowledge to be evils.’
- ‘In the opinion of the committee, coca chewing must be considered a form of cocainism.’
- ‘It is only too true that alcoholism, cocainism, and other supposed means of getting beyond a monotonous daily life are becoming increasingly prevalent among women.’
- ‘In all of these, it should be used for short periods, and any symptoms of cocainism should be a warning to cease its administration.’
- ‘We will discuss clinically important new techniques in other areas of treatment, including treatments for cocainism and surgery for resistant obesity as well.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.