One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large, edible game fish that lives in open waters of the Atlantic, Indian, and western Pacific oceans.
Rachycentron canadum, family RachycentridaeAlso called sergeant fish
- ‘Steaks of dorado, cobia, yellowtail, grouper and anything else you want to name are superb with just butter and a glass of white wine.’
- ‘He caught a beautiful 16-kilo cobia just off Pattaya Park.’
- ‘They will be my number one rods in the Persian and Arabian Gulf later this year when I tackle the big cobia and kingfish.’
- ‘In the morning a large school of cobia rested on the sand, taking off like aeroplanes as we approached.’
- ‘The cobia is a highly rated, hard-hitting game fish that is prone to long, powerful, determined runs and occasional leaps.’
Mid 19th century: of unknown origin.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.