Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A thin layer or covering of something.‘a coating of paint’
layer, covering, overlay, coat, skim, skin, thickness, plating, film, wash, glaze, varnish, veneer, lamination, sheet, finish, dusting, blanket, mantle, daub, smear, topping, crust, patina, lustre, deposit, scale, facing, claddingView synonyms
- ‘Mushrooms littered the floor of the mammoth cave and a thick coating of dust obscured most everything.’
- ‘The thin plastic coating had cracked in various places and the paper underneath had begun to fade.’
- ‘Like sunglasses, prescription lenses too are available with a wide variety of coatings.’
- ‘Some amphibians can also be difficult to handle due to their coating of protective slime.’
- ‘My companion particularly enjoyed the dish's generous coating of garlicky olive oil.’
- ‘This is particularly critical for polymers that are the basis for paints and coatings.’
- ‘I was itching and covered in an irritating coating of dust and sweat.’
- ‘Then we'll spend the rest of the day removing the thin coating of soot over everything in the kitchen.’
- ‘Quickly tilt the pan to spread the batter to form a thin coating on the bottom of the pan.’
- ‘The alkaline solution will interfere with the enteric coating and eventually dissolve it.’
- ‘Black coatings on stainless steel wash off easily, leaving a dull gray appearance.’
- ‘This method can produce a wide range of products, from oily coatings to hard coatings and powders.’
- ‘The planes must be treated with special coatings of paint and fiber in a controlled environment.’
- ‘Paints and coatings work by creating a thin film on the surface to which they are applied.’
- ‘The gums become red and swollen, and the tongue may develop a white coating.’
- ‘If you delay, the anti-skid coatings become worn and less effective.’
- ‘The solution adheres to the ice cream and forms a coating on it.’
- ‘Polymer coatings repel water, protecting the speakers from moisture and corrosion.’
- ‘This light hits the phosphor coatings and produces red, green and blue colours.’
- ‘A common theme in the new generation of coatings is the ability to be applied in extremely thin layers.’
- 1.1Material used for making coats.
- ‘Petersham, a very thick, waterproof woolen coating, usually dark blue, is used for men's trousers or heavy coats.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.